But the most exciting classes I helped to establish and have taught are Fishbot (as part of 6.A01) and Design Electro-mechanic Robotic System (1.015/2.017), two classes emphasizing both theory and hands-on.
After volunteering over 3 years at MIT Edgerton Center for STEM education outreach. At 2017, together with Dr. Gurvan Jodin and Dr. Ang Li, we proposed a new STEM studying and teaching concept of "STEM 3.0". It is featured with a learning style of project-and-task-based and knowledge-using role play. (The accepted abstract for IEEE EDUCON 2020 can be downloaded here.)
From 2017, "STEM 3.0" has been experimentally implemented in Shanghai with 2 newly established STEM education center and in different middle/high schools, as well as in the department of Ocean Engineering at SJTU.
The details of "STEM 3.0" can be found here.
I am more than blessed to work closely with and have mentored 19 students, including 2 high school, 13 undergraduate and 4 graduate students. Here is the list of the students and their projects (reports or publications are attached):
19. Natural Inspired Super Maneuverability and Heeling Improvement for surface vehicles, John R Paris (MIT), 2019 - Now. Project Proposal.
18. An Active Learning Strategy for Cylinder Wake Control Using Small Rotating Cylinders, Juhan Wang (Tianjin Univ.), 2019 – Now. BS Thesis.
17. Separation Control and Drag Reduction on Hydrofoil using Matrix of Actuators for Traveling Wave Walls, Taylor Lauren V'Dovec (MIT), 2018 – 2019. BS Thesis.
15. Hydrodynamic and Dynamic Modeling of an Ocean Drifter, Anthony C Kriezis (MIT), 2018. Project Report.
14. Experimental Investigation of Hydrodynamics of an Underwater Flapping Foil Penguin Robot: Flapping Foil Hydrodynamics, Kevin Lu (Webb Institute, co-supervised by Dr. Gurvan Jodin), 2018. Project Report.
12. Flow Visualization on the Staggered Cylinders of Different Diameter Ratios (Riser with Buoyancy Modules), Tianyi Zhang (Tianjin Univ.), 2018. BS Thesis.
11. Hydrodynamics of Multiple Cylinders Bundle in the Oscillatory Flow, Peiseng Tan (Ocean Univ. of China), 2018. Conference Paper.
10. Hydrodynamic Miracle: Devil Ray’s Amazing Jumping Gait, Miranda P Kotidis (MIT), 2017.
9. Wave and Current Induced Vibration for Riser with Piggy-back Configuration, Divya Bachina (Boston Univ. Academy, High School Student), 2017. JSV Paper.
8. 4-DOF Inverted Pendulum Balance on the Water Surface: A Simple Model of Falcon-9 Sea Landing, Marion Tormento (École des Ponts ParisTech, MIT Exchange Master Student), 2017. Project Report.
5. Experimental Approaches to Simulate Real Ocean Profile, Honglin Du (Tianjin Univ.), 2017. BS Thesis.
4. Uranium extraction from seawater: investigating hydrodynamic behavior and performance of porous shells, Amanda Michelle Hamlet (MIT, for the towing tank experiment), 2016 -2017. MIT MS Thesis.
2. Vortex Induced Vibration of Riser with Finite Length Buoyance Module, Jorlyn Le Garrec (MIT), 2015 – 2016. Conference Paper.
1. Stand-up Controller Design for a Two-Wheel Self-Balanced Car, Chenjie Lu (Imperial College London), 2015.